Throw-up Tutorials?

trying to step up your game? come in here to share Ideas. Learn about techniques and other various skill sharing.

Throw-up Tutorials?

Postby Kid Chud on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Hey all, was just wondering if anyone can recommend some good online tutorials for doing throw-ups.
Looking for anything to help really- though mostly trying to nail down a few different styles I can start incorporating.

Thanks
"It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times."
Kid Chud

Re: Throw-up Tutorials?

Postby Kneiss on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:59 am

I don't think there are any *good* throw tutorials, mostly because you can't really effectively teach style through a video (or at all). Now, what you can do, which I find really useful, is find the longest, most intricate piece videos and watch the f*ck out of all of them. If you pay close attention to the pros do their thing and really try to understand why they're doing what they're doing, you might pick up something useful along the way. Personally, I've always found that it's harder to get a good looking throw on paper as opposed to a wall, but really, that's all the motivation you need to bang out your style over and over in the books, cause everything starts off on paper
"Your letters are basically an extension of yourself—your personality. You can tell a lot about a cat just through his letters." -Name Drop
Kneiss

Postby Kid Chud on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:21 am

Right on- thanks for the reply + info. I watch vids and look at articles and do pick up quite a bit. I gotta agree its difficult getting a good throw with fills on paper, gets me frustrated when I go to implement it out and about.
Kid Chud

Postby Kneiss on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Another thing to keep in mind about throwups as opposed to burners and sh*t is subtlety and simplicity. Like, there's only so much you can do with a throw until it becomes something else. Which is obviously because of how quick you need to be to get it up on the street. So some good questions to ask yourself are, what's the absolute minimum I can do to this blob in order to make it look like a letter? Is this legible? Can I eliminate this line here, or create a connection there? How should I utilize different line thicknesses, or color contrasts, or drop shadows in order to make this pop? Or like inside the letter "A," instead of a triangle or a circle, can I get away with a dash or a line or nothing at all and still make it look good? Ask yourself a lot of questions, crit your own material, or have someone else do it, get suggestions and always keep your style changing.
"Your letters are basically an extension of yourself—your personality. You can tell a lot about a cat just through his letters." -Name Drop
Kneiss

Postby Kneiss on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Also, don't worry about fills or effects until you have a good hollow that you can execute quickly, cleanly, and consistently.
Kneiss

Postby toptoyb& on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:54 pm

this thread is funny af, but nonetheless. the only tutorial you can get for throw ups is going out and actually doing them, theres litteraly no other way of experiencing doing a throw up.
toptoyb&

Postby Kid Chud on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:11 pm

For sure- I have a handful of throws I've worked up but just never feel totally satisfied with them. Figure I'll get two down to something I'm more happy with and work on getting them closer to what I want. Thanks for the input y'all.
Kid Chud

Postby vote4Durden on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:51 am

Post a pic?

Also, there is almost a formula to it. Everyone's throw virtually has the same common theme. Of course, there are a few exceptions.
[quote="AZMA"]Yeah Durden is garbage

[quote="AdinaHoward"]anything you dont steal should be ordered from Art Primo period
vote4Durden

Postby GottaBeFresh667 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:21 pm

^^ That

Also, once you get something you like practice the living sh*t out of it. For many reasons, one of which is muscle memory, you have to be able to execute it without even thinking. You will also get used to the little nuances and sh*t of it and be able to take it from a generic throwie style to something that has your own unique style, so that even if you change it up a bit, even from a distance it will be clear as sh*t that it was you (not to mention you'll be able to throw little add-ons in that gives each one it's own one of a kind twist). And I guess it's not it's own reason, but to elaborate a bit on the first point, you need to make sure the sh*t is on point, everytime I come up with some new sh*t I do it literally hundreds of times on paper before I ever take it to the streets. Didn't mean to write a novel, but figured i'd throw a couple cents in since my ass has become a hell of a lurker lately.
[quote="biz-one"]
I need a b*tch with some felonies

[quote="TopToy"]wtf is a green ranger

[quote="vote4Durden"]Just f*cking some dudes. Whatsup w you?
GottaBeFresh667

Return to SKILL SWAP