How good to join a crew?

trying to step up your game? come in here to share Ideas. Learn about techniques and other various skill sharing.

How good do you have to be?

anyone so long as they enjoy writing
30%
should at least bomb well
33%
should be established in their area first
21%
absolute best piecers only!
2%
crews are for the insecure
14%

Total votes : 109

How good to join a crew?

Postby Ikarus on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:49 pm

Just as a topic for discussion, how skilled do you think someone should be before they try to join a crew?

I just want to hear some opinions, cuz I think the responses could be kinda interesting.
AP FAT SQUAD GREEK BASTARD LEFTENANT!
Ikarus
VIP

Postby narcoze on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:10 pm

I think they should just enjoy the thing, if they arent that good they'll get better but at least they've got the enthusiasm and sh*t.
narcoze

Postby Grover on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:47 pm

I'd want someone who knows what they're doing, and are up already. Honestly, it's all about fame, and you represent yourself as well as your crew. If your sh*t isn't up to par, then the crew suffers for it too. Enjoying writing is a part of it too, as well as being a laid back down to earth person. It's almost like a job interview. If you can't sell yourself and your crew then you don't get the job.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
Grover

Postby dotdotdot on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:38 am

but sometimes crews are a bad thing if you want the fame.

like if its a really big known crew it will be harder for you to shine.

when they see your stuff its like "oh that guys in {really big crew} damnnn."
dotdotdot

Postby ARMNhammer on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:26 pm

If you aren't in a crew yet. just go out and do your thing. People will notice you. and when you are good enough you will get scooped up.

If thats what you want.
ARMNhammer

Postby Ikarus on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:05 pm

[quote="ARMNhammer"]If you aren't in a crew yet. just go out and do your thing. People will notice you. and when you are good enough you will get scooped up.

If thats what you want.

Naw I'm already in a crew that I started up with two other friends. It's grown to include 3 other writers so I have high hopes.
I tend to think that you have to be more enthusiastic than you are skilled (at first) and that its okay to join a crew if you aren't that good yet, just because you'll meet more experienced writers and learn both better and faster.
Ikarus
VIP

Postby ARMNhammer on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:24 pm

[quote="Ikarus"][quote="ARMNhammer"]If you aren't in a crew yet. just go out and do your thing. People will notice you. and when you are good enough you will get scooped up.

If thats what you want.

Naw I'm already in a crew that I started up with two other friends. It's grown to include 3 other writers so I have high hopes.
I tend to think that you have to be more enthusiastic than you are skilled (at first) and that its okay to join a crew if you aren't that good yet, just because you'll meet more experienced writers and learn both better and faster.

Hey if that works for you then awesome. but I wouldn't put anyone in my crew unless I have seen them up and they have proved themselves. Kids can be enthusiastic for a while get arrested catch or a little beef and then quit.
ARMNhammer

Postby Ikarus on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:38 pm

[quote="ARMNhammer"]Hey if that works for you then awesome. but I wouldn't put anyone in my crew unless I have seen them up and they have proved themselves. Kids can be enthusiastic for a while get arrested catch or a little beef and then quit.

Hey, if they quit, they quit. no loss if someone who isn't willing to take a little pressure falls out of the game. doesn't bother me one bit. he still repped my crew while he was up and now that he's gone, it just means more spots for me. no biggie
Ikarus
VIP

Postby .:MuNk:. on Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:42 pm

yeha tru dat
im a mark
.:MuNk:.

Postby The PEELER on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:38 pm

I think the enthusiasm should definetly be there. However, I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to put someone on if they hadn't at least been out there by themselves at one point. I wouldn't count it against anyone if I haven't seen them up. I think If you accept ANYONE in your crew just for loving graff and gettin their feet...your bound to end up with graff ACQUAINTANCES....there are too many potential draw backs to associating with graff ACQUAINTANCES. If that person wants to run with your team, then you should have no problem telling them to get their game tighter. Being in a crew with YES men doesn't mean sh*t. What you want is a group that you can learn things you don't already know about the game. If you want to run with a thorough team, then you'll step your game up to be a part of it. A crew should most definetly come to you though...get out there and the option will open up...The best crew will tell you your garbage...until furthur notice. When you come up, you won't be garbage no more...then you can treat the next qoute the same loving way!!!
The PEELER

Postby NE_MPLS on Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:56 pm

So what do you all expect one to go, get up, a gang load, then out of no where one day there will be a letter in the mail saying, "Hello, [Your Name Here] this is John from [Crew Name Here] we have been reviewing your art work, and we have came to the conclution that you are good, and we would like to offer you a position in our crew. If you are interested please visit our web site and send us a email. Thank You!"

There are A LOT of people who graff in my hood, A LOT and I have ran into two people total, and they were together. Plus I don't like spiting out my name left and right.

When I first started me and homies started a crew and that was what we wrote till we figured out our own names we liked and got settled in with. Now we just throw up our names and leave it at that. A Crew...why?

Why would you want to be part of a crew? So you have more people who might Narc on you...f*ck that.
Me and two of my friends go out, and just do our thing...f*ck everyone else!
Marb Reds and Grain Belt Premium
check out a song "RFTC" by "Atmosphere" its about graffin (On the album Sad Clown Bad Summer)
NE_MPLS

Postby Memory One on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:49 am

Nah if I was gonna join a crew id be with the best dudes, and the only way to do that is to become a strong single artist first. N im gettin better n better every time i go out. Id wanna be part of the crew that everyone local respects n takes time to look at my sh*t n stuff. But then again I guess I could be doin that without a crew.
ASKR.SOKE.LIES.FULA.ROGUE

DROPPING KNOWLEDGE
Memory One

Postby late_again on Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:47 pm

i dont see anything wrong with having a crew. but i think the best way to do it is to have a small crew (like 6 dudes TOPS) all of whom are respectable. That way you can keep heat off you by just tagging your crew name. you can tag places that you dont want your name on but still want the props for hitting it up.
I'm At Where Your Sister Went.
late_again

Postby Grover on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:21 pm

[quote="NE_MPLS"]So what do you all expect one to go, get up, a gang load, then out of no where one day there will be a letter in the mail saying, "Hello, [Your Name Here] this is John from [Crew Name Here] we have been reviewing your art work, and we have came to the conclution that you are good, and we would like to offer you a position in our crew. If you are interested please visit our web site and send us a email. Thank You!"

There are A LOT of people who graff in my hood, A LOT and I have ran into two people total, and they were together. Plus I don't like spiting out my name left and right.

When I first started me and homies started a crew and that was what we wrote till we figured out our own names we liked and got settled in with. Now we just throw up our names and leave it at that. A Crew...why?

Why would you want to be part of a crew? So you have more people who might Narc on you...f*ck that.
Me and two of my friends go out, and just do our thing...f*ck everyone else!

If you already act like a team, why not give yourselves a team name? That's really all it means. You're not going to go out and play soccer as individuals, because that's not how the game works, then it would be a crazy free-for-all that nobody wants. There's something comforting about knowing that you're in a team effort with 1 or 2 of your closest friends that you know aren't going to snitch on you. And no, I would never write with more than 1 to 2 people in a crew. That just seems like a dumb idea in general.
Grover

Postby TASK on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:08 am

crews provide opportunities for snitches to be snitches.

solo missions also give you a larger sence of accomplishment. nobodies there to talk you through it or to watch your back, nobody to get you hyped.....its just you and your ambition.
TASK
at hand

Postby .:MuNk:. on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 pm

and snitches get stuffed in black garbage bags,into a sleeping bag with cinderblocks in it, and then thrown in the river :shock:i kinda scare myself
im a mark
.:MuNk:.

Postby NE_MPLS on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:48 pm

[quote=".:MuNk:."]and snitches get stuffed in black garbage bags,into a sleeping bag with cinderblocks in it, and then thrown in the river :shock:i kinda scare myself

Idaho Potatos...they are full of the energy I need!

Anyway, I have a hard time watching someone drown...well I never have other then the movies, I perfer lethal injection...the government does it to bad people, in my mind snitching makes someone a bad "people" so that being said its okay for anyone to do, ya know...since The United Snakes of American'ts do it to they're own people I just help them out.
Marb Reds and Grain Belt Premium
check out a song "RFTC" by "Atmosphere" its about graffin (On the album Sad Clown Bad Summer)
NE_MPLS

Postby late_again on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:41 am

[quote="NE_MPLS"][quote=".:MuNk:."]and snitches get stuffed in black garbage bags,into a sleeping bag with cinderblocks in it, and then thrown in the river :shock:i kinda scare myself

Idaho Potatos...they are full of the energy I need!

Anyway, I have a hard time watching someone drown...well I never have other then the movies, I perfer lethal injection...the government does it to bad people, in my mind snitching makes someone a bad "people" so that being said its okay for anyone to do, ya know...since The United Snakes of American'ts do it to they're own people I just help them out.

personaly ANY form of exicution by the government i have a SERIUS problem with. namely lethal injection. its like were f*ckin dogs and the govt claims is all "humain" and sh*t.

with THAT said, if i was going to kill someone i think i would choke um. i think that it would fell more personal and you could actually look into the victoms eyes. like an anceint battle feild where you had to get up in your enemys face, kill or be killed type of sh*t. not like this modern warfare bullsh*t where we have snipers and remote plains and the intire aspect of the soilder is been fased out. not that im againts saveing lifes in battle, but if your gonna kill someone be a f*ckin man about it. dont hid behind a gun.

with THAT said, if someone is gonna snitch, or your worryed they might....why would you EVER write with them?? let alone write so often that youd get a crew going with um??? crews are for your close trustworthy homies....
I'm At Where Your Sister Went.
late_again

Postby Memory One on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:54 pm

I wanna create a crew just so i can have dudes i get along with to get out an tag with me n sh*t... I dont have anybody to tag with but thats because late dont answer his phone, lol.
ASKR.SOKE.LIES.FULA.ROGUE

DROPPING KNOWLEDGE
Memory One

Postby Grover on Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:45 pm

[quote="Memory One"]I wanna create a crew just so i can have dudes i get along with to get out an tag with me n sh*t... I dont have anybody to tag with but thats because late dont answer his phone, lol.

Thanks Memory. That's exactly all a crew should be. It's a not a f*cking fortune 500 company. Some of you guys have it all wrong.
Grover

Next

Return to SKILL SWAP